Back Main Menu

Specific Issue Orders

What is a Specific Issue Order?

As its name suggests, this type of order is used when the Court is asked to resolve an issue relating to the children where parents are unable to agree. Decisions about with whom a child should live, visit or otherwise have contact are covered by child arrangements orders and NOT specific issue orders.

An application for a specific issue order would be applicable were you and your ex-partner unable to agree which school to send your children to, whether the children should go to a particular place of worship, whether or not a particular type of medical treatment should be used, or if either parent wished to ask the Court´s permission to change a child´s name.

Who can apply?

Any parent or guardian. Also holders of a (historic but still in force) Residence Order or where named in a Child Arrangements Order as someone with whom the child lives can apply for a Specific Issue Order.

What form to apply to Court?

You would use Form C100. See our Form C100 Support Page to download this form and for additional information.

C100 Support

Applying to court

If you are using a solicitor, they will do this for you. Otherwise, download and complete the Form C100. Print and sign three copies of the form.

Check how much the court fees are (see our page on Court Fees), and either take a cheque, postal order or cash for that amount when you go to your local family court.

It will assist both you and the judge if you write a brief Position Statement. Try to keep the position statement to two to three pages, setting out briefly why you are applying for contact, and why you believe it to be in the children´s best interests. Be factual, and try to be objective in what you write, and the language you use.

A position statement is not essential, but it helps inform the judge, briefly and ideally succinctly, why you are applying for the order, and can assist you in court so you do not forget any points you wish to raise.

Before setting off for the court building, ensure you have with you:

Michael Robinson © 2014

Family law information for parents whose children are resident in England and Wales

Crown Copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's printer for Scotland.